Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Philly Sticker Book

During my first Fall semester as an MFA candidate at UArts I had the privilege of working with Hiro Sakaguchi as my studio mentor.  The program I'm in is quite unique, in that I am working independently each Fall & Spring terms - free to dive into my art practice and research with the guidance of a writing and artist mentor of my choice.

My professor and friend Joe Girandola suggested I work with Hiro, a Philadelphia artist originally from Japan.  I really enjoyed getting to know him and bouncing ideas off of him.  He was supportive and encouraging and helped me make decisions about my art.  You can see more about Hiro's work here:
http://hirosakaguchi.com

I spent my time in October and November photographing the street objects I noticed on my walks around Philadelphia.  Realizing many of the objects permanently installed on the sidewalks no longer serve a function, I questioned if they really belonged in the urban landscape.  Things like pay phones, empty newspaper stands, meters that are no longer in service.   I thought it would be interesting to find a way to give people the opportunity to choose where these objects belong.

My solution was to make representational stickers and a sticker book - to encourage others to ask these questions.

Here are some photos of one of the books I made.